Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Week 1

I had a pretty busy first week in France. Getting into Savoie from Lyon was quite a ride. Nico and Sandy were at the airport ready to pick me up and carry my over weight ski bag and duffel through the airport. Thanks British Airways. I was looking forward to a relaxing ride into town, when I was given the pleasure of riding in the "dead guy" seat in Nico's Audi A4. Of course I asked what that was about and just got a causal explanation and laugh from the boys. Just a few minutes down the highway when we almost rear ended a semi at 130km/hr I got the picture and found the "oh shit" handle for most of the ride into town.
That night we hung out at Sandy's apartment with Emily and their new baby Liv for a while. Then Nico and I headed to Plagne 1800, or home. Nico showed me my new digs at the Hilton #3, yep Hilton, and it's everything you would imagine from a Hilton. Great views, hot water, plenty of space. Nico made a piece of beef with some pasta for dinner around 10. I think the French think, we Americans just eat beef. And after a couple glasses of wine with dinner I was ready for bed, so I thought.
The next couple of days are kinda a blur because I didn't really get any sleep. Jet lag is a bitch. I just followed Nico and tried to power through the lag with vin, beer, bread, cheese, sausage, and ham.
Friday night Nico and I went to a small village for a pizza party to celebrate with the folks he works with in the summer. The setting was unbelievable, the chalets all had to be at least a hundred years old. The building we ate in was made with an oven for baking bread, and tonight, pizza. I soon realized I was in a museum for the apple cider mill and orchard outside. Nico's boss' family was from this village, and he did his best to be a great host to an American that was half asleep and speaks horrible french.
After Nico safely drove us to his mom's house in a tiny village across the valley, sleeping and my first shower were priority. The shower was great, sleeping....not so much.
The next day or two I did some shopping for my penthouse, got Leo's van, arranged a bank account, and hung out with Sandy and Nico.
Starting to feel a bit better by Monday, I went to the mountain with Nico to see how everything worked. Finally stoked to ski and see the mountains, I was amazed the whole day with the size, and beauty of the Alps. The weather was clear and cold, so you could see forever, and the skiing wasn't too bad. We need snow like everywhere else, but La Plagne seems to have enough to start. At least it wasn't Latigo with manmade snow. It was a great day, the guys on patrol were all pretty friendly. I'll be working in the same outpost with the same crew all winter, and those guys are a stitch, I'm sure I'm going to like working with them all.
My first day of work I almost oversleep. I of course didn't bring an alarm clock, and had to rely on my ipod, bad idea when you've been in a sleepless daze for a couple days. I made it though.
So far, so great. Today(friday) is my first day off and I'm headed to Bourge Ste. Maurice for a cell phone for work and groceries. And it's snowing. Driving Leo's van from hear when there's snow is a bit, ok a lot, sketchy. I had to drive it up last weekend and can't believe I made it. I'll be taking Nico's Audi to town, hopefully I can get it started and the tires get me down to the valley floor.
Next week Heidi arrives for the holidays. I can't wait to see her. She may not want to come back after she sees this place.
Nothing in France happens quickly, but I finally got my interweb working and if I'm going to be on, it will be between 10am and 2pm Colorado time, so skype me or whatever. Email me and I can give you my sign on name.
Hope everyone is great and I look forward to seeing and hearing from you soon. Ciao!





1 comment:

  1. Boy week 1 must have been exciting...Andy is "speechless". :-)

    ReplyDelete