Wednesday, December 2, 2009

One Week

In a weeks time I'll be headed to France for the winter. Being new to the blogging thing, I thought it would be a good idea to start one about my trip. Mainly so my family and friends could keep track of me while I'm away.
For those of you who don't know about this voyage, I'm taking part in a job exchange of sorts. Every winter (hiver) Beaver Creek and La Plange resorts, one in the Colorado Rockies, the other in the French Alps respectively, each sending one patroller to work at the other ski area. This year I was the lucky bastard who was chosen from Beaver Creek. Leo Coirier was chosen from La Plagne, and has already arrived in Colorado. Leo arrived mid November and has settled in nicely. He's been working on the Ski Patrol race crew for the World Cup event that takes place at Beaver Creek. Beaver Creek holds the only World Cup Downhill event in North America. In the United States ski racing isn't as popular as it is in Europe, so many people don't know about the race. But, it's a BIG DEAL in Europe and this particular race is a racer favorite.
All I can tell you about La Plagne is that its in the French Alps and its 5x bigger than Vail. You know Vail, the mother ship of Vail Resorts and 2nd fiddle to Beaver Creek. Not having been to France to ski (only for an 8th grade trip to Paris, Mr. Preston, anyone?) I wish I could tell you more about what I'm expecting when I get there, other than complete awe. Which is why this blog should keep you all informed about the work, play, and experiences in speaking horrible French.
Being a week out, most of my time is spent thinking about whether or not I have my shit together for the trip. I'm pretty sure I do. Visa's good, passport ready, plane ticket bought, 7 months of Rosetta Stone. That's all I need right?
Well, I'll be in touch. Hopefully once more before I actually leave. And I'll let you know how the nerves, anxiety, and excitement of leaving home for 6 months is working out. Peace, Andy

1 comment:

  1. good luck Andy!! Sounds like a great opportunity and a hell of a time. Cant wait to see the travels, stories, pics, etc. Safe travels. Kyle

    ReplyDelete