Sunday, January 10, 2010

Membership has its privileges.


Work ended on a good note last week. My last day of work we received 3o cms and the glacier was closed for the day. That next day was one of my best days of skiing.
Nico and I woke up fairly early and headed straight to the Glacier Chalet for coffee and cake. As we made it to the top of the gondola the crew working that day was just finishing up the PIDA. Long story short. We had the glacier to ourselves, the snow was stable, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The view was amazing. The snow was even better.
Our first two runs were non stop to the bottom form the outpost. Both lines were through a couloir with an easy foot of fresh blower. The first line I went "White Room" twice. The smile didn't come off my face for the next three days. The rest of the day continued as it started. We worked away from the the roast beef, and skied amazing lines with no other tracks in sight. EPIC!
Day two I skied alone. I went back to an area were we had done some work a couple days before. (Black and White photo). Again the sky was bluebird. Seeing the area without snow and clouds just dropped my jaw. After gape'n it up a while, I realized no was alone. Not a soul for as far as I could see. I made another great run and enjoyed the solitude.
My last day off I met up with Quick to ski to Champagny. Quick is another patroller working on the glacier with me. He also lives in Champagny, so I think he knew the good lines. We took the Glacier TS up to the top and the rest is history. Bluebird skies, good folks, excellent skiing, plenty to drink, and views you'll only see in France. This type of skiing really puts the soul of skiing in perspective. Great weekend.
The weather has been beautiful for the last few days with only a couple of inches of new snow. Looking forward to my next three days off. A couple free skiing days and another adventure to Champagny with Quick should make for a good weekend.






No comments:

Post a Comment